Beatrix Potter Decoupage Changing Table/Dresser
When I found out I was pregnant, my mom, who had been eagerly anticipating this event for a very, very long time, immediately jumped into action. She, of course being very familiar with my tastes, knows that I have a fondness for vintage items and began hunting for unique, classic nursery decor. She hit the jackpot at a local bookstore that was sadly going out of business. They had a number of old prints and illustrations from children's books that had been gathering dust in the basement of the bookstore since the '50's. She scooped up a bunch of these treasures at thrift store prices. Among them were these fantastic Beatrix Potter illustration panels. I remember being enthralled with the adventures and misadventures of all of these characters when I was young, Tom Kitten, Benjamin Bunny, The Tailor of Gloucester. And the colors of the illustrations are so calming and lovely, perfect for a nursery. At first I wasn't quite sure I could incorporate the panels into our decorating scheme; they were an odd shape for framing, but I had to put them to use somehow.
So I decided to get crafty.
1. I found a changing table on Craigslist. The girls would need a changing table, of course. It was actually in pretty good shape. Just not my style, see:
2. I removed the drawer pulls and roughed up all the surfaces with sand paper to give the paint something to adhere to.
3. I chose a new paint color. I finally went with 'Gumdrop' from Benjamin Moore. I used their High Gloss Impervo oil-based paint, because I read that it is the best for repainting furniture. It is fantastic paint. But, all you pregnant ladies out there, fumes from oil-based paint are very, very harmful to your baby. I didn't know this at first, but it's true. Thankfully, darling, patient Brian was lovely enough to do the painting for me. This crafting thing is definitely not his gig, but I think he did a great job.
4. Brian painted the changing table and the outside edges of the drawers. Then I measured and cut the illustration panels to fit the inner rectangle of the drawer fronts. I was very deliberate with my measuring and precise with my cutting. I think my patience paid off; the panels look as if they were designed specifically for this piece of furniture.
5. I then used a sponge brush and Mod Podge (which ROCKS, by the way) to adhere the panels to the drawers. I've learned that the key to a great Mod Podge project is applying a very thin coat. It dries pretty quickly - about 15 minutes. Then I sealed it with 3 more very thin coats.
6. I then drilled new holes and put in some awesome glass drawer pulls. I found these at Rejuvenation.
7. Et voila. Fancy decoupage changing table for the twins' little nursery storybook land.